The Sunic Journal: Interview with Michael Cushman

November 16, 2010

Michael Cushman

Tom Sunic & Michael Cushman discuss many topics including:

• Michael’s experiences while living in Spain;
  • Southern history and the cultural differences between the North and South;
  • Demographic changes and conflict in South Carolina stemming from Yankee migration and Mexican immigration;
  • The South as a classical civilization.

Michael Cushman is a South Carolinian with family in the State going back to the early Colonial period of mixed Ulster-Scots and German heritage. He has a bachelors degree in history and is currently working on a masters in teaching. Michael taught English for four years in Spain, primarily for the military. He is now back home in South Carolina working to promote the Southern nationalist movement and has organized a number of secession rallies across the State since returning. His website is Southern Nationalist Network.

Contact Tom:
tom.sunic@hotmail.com

Comments

12 Responses to “The Sunic Journal: Interview with Michael Cushman”

1. A German on November 18th, 2010 4:45 am

Nice interview.
    Michael is totally right about this “city upon a hill” ideology and that they weren’t religious persecuted but religious fundamentalists who wanted to force their crazy believe onto others.
    Yankee mullahs.

There was always this struggle between the theocratic Puritan Plymouth and the
    chivalrous, aristocratic and more invividalistic Jamestown.

I studied that too.
    Dr. Sunic you’re right, that was no civil war, because fom the beginning on they never were ONE.
    Both societies had totally different views of the world and also developed totally different until 1865.

Was there ever the attempt of an CSA-German alliance?
    Because there seem to have been some relations.
    I’ve read that a Prussian-German Southerner created the gray Southern uniform, according to the gray German uniform.

I agree to Michael, the Massachusetts dialect sounds anoying.
    And I like his “yessa”, shows the the Southern politeness.

I also like what he told us about Spain.
    And Dr. Sunic is right, it’s very unfortunately that most Americans don’t realize that Spanish is a European language and that they even hate to hear some words of Spanish today because of the Chupacabras.
    That’s like identifying pigeon English in India with Oxford English, two totally different worlds.
    Original Spanish is a wonderful language and its various dialects are too:
    Catalan, Kastillian, Galician, Asturian.

I’ve many comrades in these Spanish regions and they’re disgusted that the Chupacabras are abusing their language and make white Americans hate Spanish.

It also funny when a Chupacabra calls himself “Latino”, in Europe, in Spain, Portugal, Southern France (Occitania), Italy a Latino is only one of Latin descent!
    If a Chupacabra would be there and claim to be a “Latino”, they would beat him up!

What I don’t understand, why Michael is against public schools?
    I know today public schools are Chupacabra-Soul Brothers cesspools, but what about public schools in homogenous white societies?

Wouldn’t the abolishment of public schools mean, that poor white kids don’t get an access to education because their parents can’t pay private schools?

2. MichaelC on November 18th, 2010 6:28 pm

A German, thank you for the comments and kind words. I’m glad you enjoyed the interview. I certainly enjoyed doing it, primarily being able to speak with Dr. Sunic.

In regards to your question about public schools, you have to consider the anti-statist mentality of the traditional South. Public schools have always been used as a weapon against us. Basically, what we want is to be left alone. We believe that will bring us much more prosperity and that the community will step in to fill most of the roles that the state now plays. We have traditionally opposed regulation and taxation as these are burdens imposed by the state upon the people often against their wishes. A public school can not function without stealing money from the people. We traditionally have supported private and church schools over public schools. In fact, this is another huge difference between the South and the North. There are few private schools in the North, but there are tons of them in the South. I went to various private schools as a kid and only 2 years of public school – which was on a far lower standard. My family was not wealthy. We got help from wealthy people in the community (primarily a doctor and his family we knew from church) which enabled me to attend a good school. Much more of this would exist if the heavy taxation we now experience were gone. I know this is very different from the European model, but this is the traditional model in the South.

3. A German on November 18th, 2010 11:15 pm

@MichaelC

Thanks for the reply.
    I understand the tax issue, but I think what made the wealthy people pay for your education was that they discovered an intellectual potential in you.

What about white kids who don’t have the luck to get discovered like that? Like children who live in anonymous mega cities with no functional community?

Or what about white children who don’t have enough intellectual potential?

And do you really think, if there would almost no taxation anymore, the rich people would really substitute the public school system by enabling a private school access for every white kid?

What’s also problematic in my opinion:
    church schools.
    After all the South is full with Baptist Zionism.
    And the North also has its brand of fundamental Christian Zionism.

Then they could brainwash the children even more to fight and die for IsraHell.

I don’t think that’s a good solution.

The solution is: Just taxation, homogenous white public schools who’re religous neutral, not atheistic, and a new reformed and improved curriculum.

4. Giorgo T on November 19th, 2010 12:08 am

Better you have all those rude Yanks than me Michael. We already have enough hillbillies and wicks up here in Massachusetts. The only thing worse than having them is their need for diversity. All the migration from north to south is whites at least while they continue to lobby for more xeni barbarians. Every one wants to live in the sun belt or in San Diego eventually. Best we can hope for is that more of you boys and gals from the south move up here which I needn’t say will never happen. The non metro-academic areas of New England are fundamentally American in constitution and character. A Englishman would call us all Yanks be our culture descended from Old Dominion or Plymouth and Massachusetts Bay Colony. Credit should be given to New Englanders who were the first to propose succession during the second war of independence.

5. Giorgo T on November 19th, 2010 1:02 am

The Carlistas side bar was great. Quick searching google I cam up with thehttp://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/caldronspain/CC.htm great tip Michael.
    Foreigner born Americans had a huge part in the Northern war of Aggression. There was over 400,000 foreign born Europeans, primarily Irish and Germans, fighting for the Northerners A Greek refugee from Chios, George Colvocoresses was the commander of the USS Saratoga during the war. The South had Irish tens of thousands of Irish confederates.

6. Giorgo T on November 19th, 2010 1:07 am

Michael, I also attended private and public education. I couldn’t agree with you more about the destructive nature of public schools. Can’t say I was fully aware of the way the carpetbaggers used it as a women against the southern way of life. I’d highly recommend John Taylor Gatto on the subject. Education Free and Compulsory was a favorite of mine in high school.

7. MichaelC on November 19th, 2010 11:37 am

A German, I don’t think there is one solution for all nations of people. This is why I am a nationalist rather than an inter-nationalist or imperialist. I don’t try to force our Southern ways upon others. We are not trying to build an egalitarian society where everyone has an equal education and so on. We’re trying to build a classical civilisation. Those who come of poor parents who would likely have access to charity schools, non-profit church schools and the like. With the Internet, there are also virtual schools that are very cheap. So there are possibilities for those who are very poor. Basically, a poor student would have to show some initiative and spark of brilliance to move up – which is how it should be be. Again, we’re not shooting for equality, but for a natural hierarchy – a natural order. In a free market there would be plenty of opportunity for those will skill, intellect and initiative. But there would be no artificial raising of those without these qualities. They would likely either voluntarily leave our society for a socialist refuge elsewhere or would fill manual labour roles. There is nothing undignified about manual labour and we will always need someone to do that. I work a manual labour job on the weekend to make money while I am in grad school, in fact.

I know this is not the socialist model and many nationalists from other countries would not approve of this model. Their ideas fall in line more with a national socialism where an active state would “help lift up the poor” and so on. This is not our intention though. To the degree that the poor or unskilled were lifted it, it would be through private charity and religious institutions, not with public money. But basically, individual responsibility would fall squarely upon each person – unlike in the current system which in many ways artificially raises the unskilled, the unambitious and unintelligent while pushing down the skilled, the ambitious and intelligent. The current system is anti-natural while what we are looking to achieve is a natural and classical order.

As for your comment about “just taxation,” we don’t believe there is such a thing. Many people will not want the particular services offered by the state and would rather keep their hard-earned money. This is the natural anarchist tendency in our culture here in the South. We hate taxation probably more than any other culture on this planet. So a free South would likely have an extremely minimal tax and likely one that was voluntary, such as a very small across the board tariff. This was our original tax and I can imagine returning to something like that. Such a tax would only allow for a government so small that it would barely escape being a government at all. Again, I understand this is not the model for nationalists in other places but it is our traditional model.

8. MichaelC on November 19th, 2010 1:31 pm

Giorgo T, I know the man (who’s from Spain) who operates the Carlista site you found. He’s a good man and is also a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans in addition to being a Carlista.

9. caiusmarcus on December 1st, 2010 9:00 pm

Hello Michael,

I just want to say that I enjoyed your interview very much. And I’d also like you to know that there is one “Yankee” up here who sympathizes wholeheartedly with Southern Whites. In fact, I have written extensively on the “Revolution of 1861″ (as I call it) and the virtues of the aristocratic Southern culture in my new book:

THE IMPERIAN MANIFESTO

Dr. Sunic just completed an interview with me on the topic, and I’m sure that you yourself would find the book very interesting. We certainly share a good deal of “common ground.”

On somewhat of an ironic note, I have noticed in my own state (New York) that whenever you see a South Carolina license plate on the road (on a car with the usual tinted windows), you always know that it’s NOT a White Southerner behind the wheel! What’s the deal with your state’s DMV? Do they just hand illegals their licenses the minute they cross into the state?

Anyhow, keep up the good work! DEO VINDICE!

10. Briton on December 1st, 2010 9:07 pm

Hey Michael,

Does the Southern Nationalist Movement include non-whites? Would a New Southern Nation include blacks and Mestizos? And if it would, would it except a high, even a majority percentage, of non-whites? Could the South be the South if it was 75% black/brown?

Thanks

11. MichaelC on December 2nd, 2010 12:21 pm

Caius Marcus,

Thanks for the kind words. I’ll certainly check out your interview as well.

You ask about SC’s DMV and such. We don’t have a large Latin-American/Mexican population. There were none here 15 or 20 years ago. It’s growing now but slowly of late with the economy down. As for White Southerners going to NY, that’s understandably not our favourite destination. lol I’ve been to NYC once and didn’t mean any other fellow Southerners there. It was an entirely alien place to me. I flew from there to Madrid, Spain and felt instantly more at ease and “at home” in Spain rather than in NYC. Not many White Southerners move North but many Blacks from the South did from the 1870s until the 1960s. Most of them have family in both the North and the South and some of them go back and forth. I imagine when you see SC plates that you are seeing Mexicans and Blacks most of the time. Just my guess though.

Anyhow, take care and Deo Vindice!

12. MichaelC on December 2nd, 2010 12:31 pm

Briton,

You asked about the racial composition of the Southern nationalist movement and my thoughts on this. There are many different organisations that make up the movement and about all they have in common is a love for the South and especially our heritage. For example, there is the Texas Nationalist Movement (TNM) which avoids any talk of race at all except to deny being racist. From what I’ve seen it is nearly an all-White group though, as all of these secessionists and Southern nationalist groups are. There is the League of the South (LS) which openly says that the core culture of the South is Anglo-Celtic. There is the Sons of Confederate Veterans (SCV) which is very large but not very political even though it fights for our heritage. To be a member you have to prove that you have a Confederate ancestor. There are many other smaller groups too and they all differ with regards to these issue.

I don’t think that the South can survive if the demographics are radically change. The people I know in the movement contend that we are not just a special region which clings to Jeffersonian principles, but more importantly that we are a nation of people. I compare us to the Afrikaners in many respects. They were a unique nation of people within the state of South Africa. As long as our people survive then our nations survives. Some of our culture could perhaps survive our demise but the Southern nation would no longer exist. As we dwindle in number across the South there are various reactions. Some people turn against their heritage and try to melt into the “American” mainstream while others are becoming more radicalised. The latter trend holds some hope for us, I think.