The Sunic Journal: Interview with Elizabeth Whitcombe

January 5, 2010

Tom and Elizabeth, a graduate of MIT in Economics, discuss music’s impact on the individual’s mind and its influence on a population’s collective identity. Topics include:

• The 1960s hippy “dropout” mentality; the Frankfurt School’s influence on youth
  • How music is paired with negative messages that undermine Western culture; the contamination of the current musical discourse.
  • Plato’s ideas for creating a space for art to maintain its beauty and uplifting quality
  • Elizabeth’s research into how the brain processes musical information and the use of melodies as a means of therapy.

Contact Tom:
tom.sunic hotmail.com

Comments

14 Responses to “The Sunic Journal: Interview with Elizabeth Whitcombe”

1. Ian on January 8th, 2010 8:27 am

This interview must be among Sunic’s best. The subject is fascinating and the guest is erudite as well as articulate. Hopefully Tom will have her (Elisabeth) back for a second show.

Thank You !

Ps. It really makes you wonder. If this is true with music is it also true with visual stimuli like the TV ? As I understand it the TV emits a visual signal (Hertz) that could be defined as a sort of visual rhythm…

2. Steve(Codex) on January 8th, 2010 10:07 pm

Elizabeth is a genuinely intelligent and thoughtful person. Unfortunately, it appears as though Elizabeth took her web site down in the last few days. Shame.

3. Sue on January 8th, 2010 11:25 pm

Excellent. This is one of the most interesting subjects I have ever come across. Many people can say what’s wrong today but not many people can draw a map of how we came from the “good old days” to here.
    It seems to me Elizabeth is trying to do this with her research. Take a look at her articles and her writing style — simple, unapologetic, authoritative. Who else out there is pursuing this subject from this angle?

And how many people here who say they’re for this and opposed to that would actually look closely at the music they like and analyze it for harmful themes?

You may also listen to the Jim Giles interview with Elizabeth here.

4. Spectator on January 9th, 2010 2:02 pm

Skeeter: the last part of your posting contradicts the first part.

Perhaps you misunderstand the motivation for the Frankfurt School (all Jews, by the way)–it was not to “make us all Marxists” but rather to undermine our healthy ethnic traditions like racial pride expressed in real families with a functioning authority structure, anchored in genuine religious faith, which itself requires a complex and nuanced capacity for self-evaluation. The idea was to “pathologize” white attitudes conducing to racial health (The Authoritarian Personality, California F Scale, etc.). It worked.

Look what we have now–what with white guilt, wailing by perverts to enjoy “marriage” to members of the same sex, a loss of any true sense of our history and access to all that is honorable in our traditions–it seems that they may have done their work all too well. The cesspool of so much of contemporary pop culture owes a lot to this undermining.

5. Skeeter on January 9th, 2010 3:51 pm

6. John on January 9th, 2010 4:19 pm

“I guess what I was trying to say was as a Marxist revolutionary movement the Frankfurt School was a failure. Many of its ideas (militant anti-racism, white guilt, the attack on the family, etc.) have been appropriated by capitalism.”

They have, but I don’t think that particularly bothers them.

The Cultural Marxists (i.e. Modern Marxists) don’t owe any real loyalty to the old Workers vs. Capitalists struggle.

The co-option of New Left ideas by Capitalism, as far as I see it, shows Capitalism’s failure moreso. It shows that the vision of Capitalism portrayed by Buckley, Reagan, Churchill and others was a fraud.

“The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries.”Winston Churchill.

Capitalism was never a friend of nationalists. That Capitalism today cheerleads every left-wing/Marxist idea going should be no surprise to us.

7. John on January 9th, 2010 4:25 pm

Here is a typical example how Mainstream Conservatives portray Capitalism:

“Capitalism is as flawed as other systems – but the alternative to capitalism is serfdom”

“Capitalism’s not perfect, but it’s the best thing going; the lesser evill” – the Churchillean, Reaganite lie.

No, Capitalism is evil, full stop.

8. John on January 9th, 2010 4:33 pm

The Frankfurt School’s idea was that all of its core ideas (militant anti-racism, white guilt, the attack on the family, etc.) would become submerged into society’s institutions (Government, education, business culture).

These institutions would become, wittingly or unwittingly, agents and vehicles for the revolution.

9. Steven on January 9th, 2010 8:40 pm

I enjoyed this program very much and have recommend it to my friends. I also plan to make a donation.

10. Carolyn on January 10th, 2010 4:50 pm

Fantastic program, fantastic guest. I agree we need to hear more of this kind of quality. It was both educational and entertaining — what more can one ask.

11. Mike Conner on January 11th, 2010 2:03 pm

In an email sent to Tom Sunic, a listener wrote:

Dear Tom, I really enjoyed the recent interview with Elizabeth Whitcombe. In fact, I was fascinated by it since the material she was uncovering was so new to me and this angle about musical propaganda and the Frankfurt school has never been explored before as far as I know.I was impressed with the sincerity in her voice and her clear, authoritative, unapologetic writing style.

12. August Gross on January 11th, 2010 3:35 pm

What’s that great piece of music you open with on this show with Elisabeth?
    Elisabeth is great, wish I knew her. C. Gross

13. Sue on January 12th, 2010 1:25 am

Yes, Mike, that was basically the comment I made above. Dr. Sunic went on to reply that he doesn’t know either what happened with Elizabeth’s website, http://www.modernproverbs.org .

14. Mike Conner on January 12th, 2010 1:41 pm

In response to August Gross: It’s from Wagner’s “Lohengrin”.

In response to Sue: Unfortunately, no one seems to know.